Friday, April 5, 2013

Searching The Local Bookstores

Staring at the pile of boxes that sat on my living room floor, I wondered how hard it would be to add my books into the local bookstores collections. I spent hours searching for bookstores and made just a few calls. I must say that I am quite disappointed in the amount of bookstores that we have here in Wichita, Kansas. Once, I sat writing my manuscript in the cafe of Borders which is now a clothing store. Where have all these wonderful bookstores gone?

The lack of bookstores didn't stop me from searching for stores to sell my books in. But it brought a new sense of wondering how many people now prefer to have an ebook. For me, I love my Sony Reader, but there's a lot to be said for holding that paper or hard cover book in your hands. A book never needs to be charged for a day while your desperately ready to know what happens next. If your like me and love to read in the bath or on a float in the swimming pool, there's not a high risk of having to replace it. A couple of pages get wet but it's still able to be finished or perhaps you might need to buy another copy rather than a whole ereader which can be quite expensive to replace. Plus, what if you had a chance to get an autograph? Would you have them sign your Kindle? I understand the love of cheaper books found with the ebooks and the amount of storage on just one reader. There are advantages and disadvantages for both. Whichever you choose is completely up to you and my book is available in both styles because I understand the need for both.

After a few phone calls and help from a friend, I found Watermark Books & Cafe on the corner of Douglas and Oliver. I walked in and gathered information about hosting book signings and consigning my books within their store. It didn't take me long to sign a contract that added my books to their collection. Also, I have a call into Dillon's and Barnes & Noble who too, promote local authors. As I wait patiently (or rather drumming my fingers on the table and looking at my phone restlessly) for their call, it's time to advertise this book and get started with the book signing campaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment