Sunday, October 18, 2009

Running

Running always makes me feel better. The way the sun beats down on me in the early morning, as I enjoy the refreshing cool breeze.

Now that my son has his new big boy bike, he peddals faster, allowing me to run. I can't keep up, yet I'm not far behind. This is my time to think and clear my mind. The wind is pushing against me, I run harder. The cool wind slaps my face. My cheeks and ears are stinging from the cold wet air, but I'm burning up. I can feel the sweat beads forming on the back of my neck. The hair that touches my skin clings to me, I am drenched. I want to shower, but I don't want to quit running. My legs are tired and I can feel the aching of my aging bones. I slow to a walk, my heart is pounding hard in my chest, yet I am laughing. I holler after my son and he begs me for another lap. How can I say no to his precious blue eyes. I cannot run, my legs just won't go. He looks over his shoulder, making sure not to get too far ahead of me. We are almost there, almost home. I welcome the breeze. Closing my eyes, I open my arms and feel the wind blowing all around me, hugging me. I open my eyes to watch the leaves circle up in the air and dance passed me. What a beautiful time of year it is. I can't wait for my next run.

No comments:

Post a Comment