Thursday, February 25, 2010

Tribute to Andrea



Have you ever had a friend do so much for you?

Two and a half years ago, I loaded my almost two year old son into the stroller and walked around the neighborhood. I felt alone, desperate to get out of the house. I was a work from home/stay at home mom and not a friend with a child his age. Actually, I had no friends at all. I was trapped in the confines of my beautiful home, with a child that I cherished more than ever. But I needed someone to talk to. I sobbed as I drowned in the loneliness several days a week. I wondered why I had waited so long to have a child, though I didn’t regret it one single bit.
As I walked along, on this warm spring day I noticed two women with children close to my son’s age, sitting in the driveway chatting away. I’m not quite sure how it began, but I found myself sitting in the driveway, listening to them talk about foods to feed their young ones.
An hour or so later, my heart swarmed hoping friendship would begin. I walked many days hoping to catch them outside and every once in a while they would be.
It’s the end of summer and I feel that need for friendship as the loneliness kicks in again. I receive an invitation in the mail to join a mother’s group from my neighbor. I called her up and asked her if I could ride with them after getting the details. “Sure,” she says. I was embarrassed. In the neighborhood I lived in, I should’ve had my own car.
I joined the group and marked every event on the page. My son and I weren't going to miss a thing and these women looked so much fun. Andrea would call me most afternoons and invite us to play. I never refused. I was afraid to call her first, I didn’t want to be a pest. I did wait by the phone every day hoping she’d call. Most days she did.
We developed into a friendship I needed and longed for. Andrea is the sweetest and most caring friend one could ask for. Today, we still do many things together, with and without our boys.

Because of Andrea, I have many new and exciting friends, and my son has gained that advantaged as well. I couldn’t imagine what life would be like without her in our lives and I hope to never find out.

Have a happy birthday dear, and know I have so many more things I’d love to say. But as I look at the word count (460 words!) I think I should stop. I could go on and on about how you saved my life. As a matter of fact, I might just contribute the rest of this week to you. Luv Ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment