Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I sat on the front porch fanning myself with the book I had been reading. I could feel the sweat trickle down my back as well as my arms. Today was definitely a scorcher. I wanted to go inside, but the babysitter was specific about us staying outside until the little kids were asleep. I looked at my bulky black watch. It had been thirty minutes since all of us older kids were sent outside to play. I looked around the neighborhood at the empty houses wondering how much longer we will have to wait to go inside. The screen door creaked open. The short plump sitter came out with a plate full of watermelon and a smile on her face. I jumped up and grabbed a piece of the ice cold watermelon and thanked her. I returned to the porch swing and bit into it. Juice ran down the sides of my mouth and I pushed the seeds away the best I could. I ate several pieces and then went inside to clean up. Sat on the couch and opened my book, settling into the air conditioning for the rest of the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment