Friday, January 6, 2012

October 29...continued

After dinner I thought we were coming home to change into the perfect haunted house attire. T-shirt or sweat shirt and jeans along with some really good running shoes. The haunted house we planned to attend had four stories of scare-ific terror and adventure. My heart raced just thinking about it.
My boyfriend took a left rather than a right, opposite direction of the house.
"Um, where are we going," I asked.
"I want to show you something before we go to the haunted house."
"Can't I change first?"
"No. You look beautiful."
"I can't go to the haunted house in this dress!" I exclaimed. "It would definitely be one of those nights where the house has an escaped asylum patient and we all get murdered. I'll be the first to go because of my shoes!"
He laughed. I sighed. "Please, I want to change."
"No. Just wait. We can always go back and change in a bit. You look really nice."
"Grrr..."
"It's rare that we get all dressed up. Why rush to change back?"
Comfort, I thought. But I let it alone. I had no idea what he wanted to show me. At the same time, it was thrilling to not know.
He took a turn, one he didn't remember, and said he thought he was lost. I asked if he could give me the address and I would punch it into the navigator system on my phone. Of course he said, not to worry because he could find it. Goodness, it had to be a complete surprise!
The car stopped.
"Do you know where we are?"
I looked up, it resembled a historic church. I shook my head.
"My buddy told me about this place, he said it is quote unquote haunted."
Ooh, my interest peaked. We walked up to the doors and he used a key to enter. He continued to explain that we were able to look around and have a little snack if we wanted to. I shook my head. I wanted to see and hear all the scary stuff. As we walked by, I noticed two other couples in the dining area.
My boyfriend walked down the hallway, "I know it's this way," he said motioning for me to follow him. We walked up the stairs down another hallway and up more stairs. It was unfinished and looked rather creepy. My heart raced as we went up another set of stairs and into a dead end. Or so I thought. He pulled the latch on the door and opened it wide. I looked up to see the sun peeking from behind a cloud. He stepped out and onto the ground of the tower (which I had no clue was a tower) and offered a hand to me. I stepped out and felt a light breeze blow across my face.
"You can see all of the city from here," he said from behind me. I looked down and saw the river and up to see the buildings of downtown. It was breathtaking.
From the corner of my eye, I saw something move quickly. I spun around to see what it was.
My boyfriend was down on one knee.
At first I was dazed. I'm sure the blank look on my face wasn't too comforting. slowly he pulled something out of his pocket and I realized what he was doing and my heart burst. "OH!" I thought.
"Lyana Jo, will you marry me?"

I stood speechless for a moment. I wanted to shout out YES for the world to hear, but I had a plan. You see, in February he had told me that one day this year he would ask me a very important question that will bring an even bigger smile to my face. Here it's the end of October.

"I promise you one day this year, I will answer that very important question," I said and smiled.
"Oh, no, no, no. I need an answer now," he laughed.
I nodded my head. "Yes. Of course, YES," I said, giggling. Tears stung the corners of my eyes as he gathered me in his arms. I couldn't stop giggling and definitely couldn't let go of him either.

I never thought he could pull it off as a complete surprise, but he did.

1 comment: