Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A sneek peek...

The curtains waved as the winds howled, blowing in the coldest air of the season. I shivered and draped a fleece snowflake blanket over my shoulders and walked up the stairs to make a cup of apple cider. Anything to get this chill out of my veins. I looked out the window and saw the first flurries of the season swirling in the air. Again, I shiver. I am not ready for this sub zero temperature that lay ahead. I prayed it would pass right by. The coffee machine beeped and I rushed over to grab that cup of hot apple cider.
BANG!
I spun around towards the noise. The family picture lay on the floor with shards of glass scattered around it. I looked up at the wall, clueless. How could this have fallen? I slowly walked over and bent down to pick up the frame, careful not to prick my finger.
I cannot help but stare into the photo. Into my late husband's eyes. I sat down on the cold hardwood floor and traced over his profile. "Ouch," I whispered putting my finger in my mouth. Tears stung my cheeks as I looked at the man who captured my heart. The only man I would truly ever love. I missed him. Oh God I missed him. If only I could see him one more time. One more day and my life would be complete.
"Oh Johnny," I sobbed. Just then I felt a light touch on my shoulder. I screamed. It was gone. I looked around me. No one was there. "Johnny?" I trembled. "Johnny, is that you?"
Silence. I waited for over an hour and still silence. Did I imagine it?

No comments:

Post a Comment