Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Identity Confusion

Recently, my wonderful husband and I exchanged vows. I thought that once the vows were exchanged and the marriage license was in hand, we were complete. Not so. Since the marriage license has been in my hand I have been calling utility places to get my name changed. From the social security office to the bank to the dental office and everywhere in between. Time can be a challenge though. While waiting for my new identity to come back, I ran into a few encounters. For example, I rented a movie at the video store. When I went to the counter to pay, the young blonde girl looked over my account.

"Hi, may I see your ID?" she asked.

"Um, yeah," I said pulling out both the paper copy and old ID. "I recently got married and so I'm not sure which one you'll need." I giggled. The puzzled expression on her face cracked me up.

This is one of the many times that I have had to present both ID's. Even at the social security office. That one wasn't one to laugh about. They are pretty serious.

It's confusing when everything's in limbo. Which name do I say? Which name do I sign? Do they think I'm stealing someone's identity? Do they think I am crazy? or maybe they understand because they remember the route to getting married.

All of these questions rush through my mind the moment they ask me for my identification. Inside I'm laughing, but I don't want to laugh out loud just in case. I do however keep all of the paperwork with me including the marriage license. That way I have proof of who I really am.

No comments:

Post a Comment