Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A Couples New Year and Resolution

On New Year's Eve, I slip into the dress that will cause my cowboy's mouth to drop open and eyes pop out of his head. My hair falls down my shoulders to the middle of my back in loose curls and my makeup covers any blemish noticeable to myself. The necklace was a gift from my cowboy two years ago and has earrings to match. I pick out a pair of four inch stilettos and walk out of my room and into the kitchen.

My heart beats a little faster as I walk down the stairs to the basement. He's playing Spec Ops on the Xbox. I wonder if I will divert his attention.

I don't have to wonder long as he stands almost instantly once he catches sight of me. There was no question whether I caught his attention as his lustful eyes devour me as he approaches. His hand slides through my hair and he grabs the back of my head. His lips smother mine in a seductive and sensual kiss. My heart races as his hand slides down the small of my back and he pulls me in tighter. I wrap my arms around his head never wanting this kiss to end.

A moment passes and he looks into my eyes. "I love you," he says and kisses my nose. "Hubba, hubba."

I giggle. "I love you too, cowboy," I say gazing into his eyes. He gathers me into a warm embrace and we stand holding each other longer than the kiss. This has been a hard year for us down to this very last day. Yet it was also the happiest year as we vowed to keep our promise to love one another through the good and the hard times.

He leads me to the blanket in front of the glowing fireplace. A platter of chocolate covered strawberries, a bottle of Champagne and two glasses sat awaiting our arrival. At first we are silent watching the New Years Eve special on Kake. But then the silence is broken by the appearance of Pitbull and our normal chatter begins. We indulge in the juicy ripe strawberries and wait for the clock to chime down, laughing and talking about nothing important. Spending quality time enjoying each others company.
"Next year, we'll go out on the town," he promises.
"Next year we may be in the hospital awaiting the arrival of our child," I tell him. "You never know, we could have the new years baby." I wink. He grabs my hand and squeezes it.

Time is winding down to those final minutes and he pops the cork. My glass overflows and I laugh holding it over the platter. My hand is sticky and my glass now is half full. That is all I need to bring in the New Year. We engage in a kiss, forgetting to count down the last seconds of the evening. Outside, fireworks burst out wildly. But we cannot stop kissing.

"Happy New Year," he says to me.
"Happy New Year," I say beaming back at him.

In this moment, we know the perfect resolution for us.
Our couple's resolution: To spend at least twenty minutes conversing of things that are not work related, child related, or news related. But, to spend at least twenty minutes each day reminiscing, dreaming, or just talking about us and our love for each other.
We already wake up each morning and thank God for letting us cross paths. Now we will spend time showing our devotion to one another.


No comments:

Post a Comment