Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Time is drawing near and my palms are sweaty. Beads are forming on the back of my neck as well as my forehead. I can't stop moving, whether it's tapping my foot or fidgeting with my hands. It's taking too long yet it's coming too soon. Do I wanna know? No. Yes. I don't know. It's killing me; the waiting. My mind plays a thousand tricks. I think too much. I get up and walk around. I'm antsy. How much longer in this dreaded silence? Do I look at the time? Yes. No. I don't wanna know. Yes, I do. Seconds tick away quickly. My heart is pounding hard in my chest. Will the answer make me smile or make my heart sink? Ugh, I want to know now!The phone rang and my hand sat on the receiver for a moment before I picked it up. "Hello? Yes, this is she. Oh, I'm sorry. I can't talk right now. I'm waiting on an important phone call." I hung up the receiver and drummed my fingers on the table. How much longer before they call? They should have called already. Does that mean the news is bad? Or will I sigh with relief? Again the phone rang. Again I hesitated before I answered. Again the wrong number. How many times will this phone ring from telemarketers? I stood and walked into the kitchen. Just as I turned on the water to wash the dishes, the phone rang. I dashed back into the living room and answered. This time it was the anticipated call I had been waiting on. I sat down on the sofa as I received the news. Shock was frozen on my face. "Thank you," I said as I hung up the phone. I sat back on the couch and stared into the mirror, yet not seeing a thing. A million questions ran through my mind. I didn't know which emotion to feel and buried my face in my hands as I cried.

No comments:

Post a Comment