Tuesday, January 15, 2013

An Endless List

With so much to do, where do I start? The bathroom wall paper needs removing, the shower curtain rod needs replacing, the clothes need folding, the dishes need washing, the floors need vacuuming, sweeping and mopping, the beds need making, the entire house needs dusting... The papers need filing, the desk needs organizing, the bills need paying, the computer needs updating, the printer... the printer... the blog needs writing, the book needs critiquing...The list goes on and on. Will it ever reach an end? Perhaps it's not meant to end. If there were nothing to do, boredom would come and boredom we do not need.

In the fast paced life that we live, we expect to be busy with whatever dreaded chores we have left to do. All we need is to find time to finish a project we began a month or even years ago. But how do we find the time we need? We can write a list and place it on the mirror as I have done in the past. We can tackle one chore at a time. Put a focus on an item everyday. With household chores, do a little everyday. My grandmother once told me that if I did a load of laundry each day, I would never be behind. She was right. Every day one load was washed, dried, folded and put away. Before long, the piles were too small to do a load everyday. That can even work with filing. As soon as there's something to file, take the time to do it right then and there so that it doesn't stack up. My basket is overflowing again. I dread to sit in front of the filing cabinet and file for hours. Yet had I just filed the two papers each time I had them in hand, the basket would be empty. We all have lazy days and are entitled to them. However, we also should have catch up days and stay on top of chores days too.  Why spend a whole day doing what can be done in ten minutes each day?




No comments:

Post a Comment