Friday, August 6, 2010

Family Cookout

The sun is shining bright when I fire up the grill. Nothing like a summer cookout to make the heat enjoyable. With fresh cut asparagus, mushrooms, zucchini, green onion and squash to compliment the seasoned chicken breasts, we are licking our lips as the grill's propane aroma fills the air.

The children run around outside creating havoc while the adults stay inside relaxing in the air conditioning, popping open beers and laughing as they tell stories of their youth.

Me, I am the hostess of this event and am in the kitchen coordinating the festivities. It is a favorite past time and I plan everything out to keep it a stress-free event. I smile as the laughter in the family room grows louder and roll my eyes when the children tattle on each other. I beg them to please just get along and send them back outside to play.

When the grilling is done, the chaos begins. Everyone crowds into the kitchen grabbing their plates and piling them high and scatter back to a place to indulge. Compliments go 'round and stories continue where they left off until late in the evening. Clean up is a breeze when the sisters help tackle the chore.My mother stands and thanks me for the evening and everyone follows her lead. We wave goodbye and blow them kisses and tell them let's do this again real soon.

The house becomes quiet. I fall back onto the couch and rest my eyes. My little one snugs up next to me and we fall fast asleep.

These are the memories that last a life time. These are the memories I will remember most.

No comments:

Post a Comment