Thursday, August 26, 2010

June 11

By chance I met you on this warm summer day, sweeping by me on the bicycle. I couldn't help but giggle when you did a double take and smiled at me right before you crashed onto the sidewalk. You jump up and brush the dirt off your sweat pants and smile at me. I haven't moved from the spot in which our eyes met. My puppy is wiggling in my arms and I very slowly set him to the ground and make sure his leash is secure. I jump when I hear your gentle voice greeting me and I almost hit your chin with my head in the process. You laugh while I blush and smile brightly. You tell me the sand made you lose control just so you could meet your destiny, as we walk side by side down the path. The leash in my left hand, your bike to your right.

"This was the way we met eleven years ago," I tell my daughter who rolls her eyes.
"Mom I know," she says. "You have told me this every June 11th. This is how you and dad met, I get it. Happy Anniversary." Young Anabel gets up and walks into the living room and sits next to her father on the couch.

"If it wasn't for the sand on the bike path, I never would have met the most amazing woman in my life." He wraps his arm around his daughter. "I am a very lucky man to be married to your mother for the last eleven years."

Anabel sighs and shakes her head. "Why do you guys do this every June 11th?"

"Because fate brought us together and every day I fall deeper in love with that woman standing in the kitchen arranging the fresh roses from our garden," he says to his daughter.

"And I couldn't imagine a single day without that man sitting next to you on the couch who buys me fresh flowers for no reason, but on June 11th gets up at five in the morning and picks the flowers from our garden." I smiled as I walked into the room with the vase of freshly arranged scarlet roses.

"For if we choose to love with our whole heart for eternity, the greatest happiness will surround us for our entire life span."

No comments:

Post a Comment