Monday, January 6, 2014

Eating Habits in the New Year

This year started with a resolution to begin eating healthier (as I say popping a handful of dark chocolate drizzled popcorn into my mouth). However I think that I actually forgot to start the resolution. It's as if I never actually told myself that it had to begin on January first. Now I am thinking, how do I tell myself that I had better cut out the oreo mint chocolate ice cream after the kiddos are tucked in bed. Or to quit making S'mores over the fireplace. (But to do that I must finish cleaning out the supplies by eating them first as not to waste food. Right?)
For lunch a group of co-workers and I were discussing going out to eat. Mexican was the theme. Funny, I had already gone out for Mexican at the beginning of the week and made a Mexican fiesta for dinner two nights before. So needless to say, Mexican wasn't really sounding good. To make things even better, the place they chose I really didn't care for. I simply said, "Go and have a great time. I need to go home to take care of my sweet little Bear." Simple enough and hopefully sweetly done as I had no intention on starting an issue. It's not that I didn't want to socialize, just that I wanted something else more desireable (and it was in my fridge!) Then the guilt came when I was asked why I didn't want to join. Ugh... "Man, suck it up and go!" I told myself. I wasn't fibbing about Bear. I hadn't been home for a couple of days and really felt that I needed some time with him, because he hadn't been home alone in the last couple of weeks and he's still just a puppy. So, I said, "It's just not a place I like to eat, but go and have fun." Of course I was ridiculed about not liking authentic Mexican food, which only made me giggle as I thought of Max's place in Rocky Point and my trips to Santa Fe, New Mexico. (Now that was authentic and so delicious!)
I followed them out to the car thinking, I do really need to go home and take care of the puppy and that I could meet them up there. Then my friendly co-worker made a comment that had me ready to roll on the ground laughing. She said 'Oh, she's on a health kick," and then added, "Go and eat your sandwich." Hilarious! The mouth watering meal waiting for me at home was from Pei Wei and wasn't that healthy at all. I must really have convinced peeps that I was not able to falter from my resolution when indeed I am probably the most stubborn to motivate (I kinda think that I get that from my dad) unless I really want to do it. In other words, at time I can be all talk and quiet the bulls... (Oops... Let me stop there!)
I promised to join them after I took care of Bear, in which I did. More from guilt of not going and great company than anything. Plus, I was out of chocolate drizzled popcorn and tired of the Tollhouse cookies. The no-bakes are still waiting for me to make them and really I preferred a little conversation.
At some point, I'm going to have to start this resolution (right?). Might even try this weekend. But it's so cold that hot cocoa and Chai lattes sound yummy alongside lemon cookies and/or no-bake cookies. Thank goodness none are in the house (though I have all the ingredients to make them but that would require me to actually get away from the computer and make a mess in the clean kitchen, yet they sound so good!).
Ooh my gosh... what is happening to me? I'm beginning to think there is a conspiracy to make me become... I don't know... Ack! I've never not started a resolution, except last year. And maybe the year before. Oh geez, who am I kidding? I haven't really been on top of food resolutions since I met my husband. He's really the one to blame. Before him, I lived at the gym and drank only water. If I wanted a dessert, I ate yogurt, dessert style. So I'm not lying when I say he's to blame. Hee hee.
Okay, now, I can start this resolution. Baby steps... start with water... Oh I'm drinking mostly water! That's new! Now vitamins... oh I bought those yesterday! Wait here, I'll be baaacckk! Check! What's next... exercise... Oh my husband, sweet husband, bought me an elliptical so I am going to start using it around the 9th or 10th! Hey... don't give me that! I have no choice... it won't be here til then. Plus, he has to set it up. Which I will be so excited (the first day) to use it the moment that it arrives so I will pester him until it's ready for use. Aren't wives great, I say with a hand over my mouth snickering. Oh, Pilates, you say? Yeah... I suppose I can start that (since I had to anyway because of my back, grrr) up while I wait for the Schwinn to come in.
We all have a tough time getting our resolutions started (unless you are absolutely motivated) and sometimes we just need a little push or a friendly reminder. Just say I can do it (like that little steam engine said) and you can accomplish the world, or at least the little things. So, just prove to yourself that you can do it and go for it. A healthy body equals (or is the same as) a healthy mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment