Sunday, October 17, 2010

August Fish Fry

For many years my family has celebrated a tradition called the August Fish Fry. This was the best way to celebrate all the August birthdays in our large family.

There was a single cake and a list of names written across it along with a banner that we hung from the front porch.

We made a small fire and put an enormous frying pan (I still have not seen a pan that compared in size) on it and my uncle added the catfish that he caught on a fishing trip the week before. He was one of the many names listed on this celebration day.

We played volley ball and baseball. The adults tapped the keg and us younger ones enjoyed soda. The festivities began around eleven in the morning and lasted until way passed dark.

I miss the quiet country life and can't wait to find my way back to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment