Monday, January 24, 2011

Cat Lover Gone Dog?

Oh my... what has happened to me that I would let go of a precious kitty just to get a puppy? I have no idea! This boyfriend of mine has truly become a bad influence as of late. I have sat around playing the Wii and slept longer hours. I also cut my gym time in half and now a dog?!

I have always loved and owned pets. Dogs, cats, fish and even a rabbit. Of all the pets I have owned, cats were my preference. They were playful yet slept a lot. I didn't have to change out gallons of water, just filled up the water bowl. Potty training was a cinch. Dogs are great companions, but playtime is rough with teeth bigger and sharper than a cat's teeth.

So how did I turn from wanting a cat to a dog?
I went to the Humane Society to look for a possible companion for my son and I. I played with cute and cuddly kittens, but non caught my eye. I walked around looking at the puppies, still thinking I should wait for the perfect kitten until I saw Bob, a five month old Labrador Retriever.
With a silky jet black coat and the perfect puppy face I stared at him. He began to bark as if to say "Please take me home. I don't like it here."
"No. No way. Not a dog," I thought and walked a few feet away. He yelped a bit louder. I looked over my shoulder and into his sad golden eyes. He laid his head down on his paws, staring at me, melting my heart. That look made it impossible to walk away. I imagined taking walks in the park or running around in the backyard playing fetch. I smiled thinking of him curling up by my feet while I worked on the computer or watched television. I thought of my son having a pet that would last a long time. One that would greet him at the door after school ready to play. A pet that would love and entertain him and he would do the same in return.
I wanted him at that moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment