Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Change For The Better

For over a month I had been alcohol free. Not that I ever abused it, but I did enjoy a glass of wine or a beer after my son went to bed. I loved to dance on the weekends, when my son was with his father, and enjoy a couple of social drinks at the bar while I twirled around on the dance floor. But I learned that dancing just isn't the same without my boyfriend, so I quit going unless he was there. Instead of drinking alcohol, I found I enjoyed grape juice or Dr Pepper while we played the Wii with his daughter. When Christmas came, I had my son and I had no desire to have a drop of alcohol.

This last weekend I went out dancing with my boyfriend and our friends for the first time in a month or longer. First thing I wanted when we arrived was a drink. So I got one. But I really didn't care for it. I nursed it as I socialized and danced. Then I realized the only thing I wanted to do was to dance. So I drank water. But I was yawning by ten that evening and you know they teased me. Never did I yawn on a night out. But I just wasn't into it. We tried again to go out the following night. Again I didn't want to drink but socialize and dance. Again I found myself yawning by ten and ready to call it an evening.

I am glad that I have found more important things to do in life than drink at the bar. I have always been a mother first and I always will be. But now I think I will be even more into family, if possible, than ever. With a steady boyfriend who has children of his own, I find that hanging with the family is a lot more fun on the weekends than going out and drinking the night away.

No comments:

Post a Comment