Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Child's Heartbreak

"Miss Leanna," Suzie said excitedly. I walked over to her and she hugged me tight. "Miss Leanna, my daddy says my mommy doesn't want to see me anymore...

I was astonished. If that is true, (which I hope NOT!) isn't there a better way to tell a six year old they won't be seeing their mother? I don't know the entire story, but in my opinion, I would try very hard to tell her that her mother loves her and that she will see her mother soon. Maybe mom's moved away or sick... or maybe just avoid talking about mom. Focus on the positive and be a bright influence. Maybe it's a shock to you that she's no longer a part of your life, but be there for your child. I understand the pain of separation, but I know our children come first in our lives.

Children are so delicate when they are that young and there's no reason to give them a negative vibe. They may begin to blame themselves or lose confidence in who they are. Nobody likes feeling unwanted.

With my son, I strive to make him believe that he is the greatest. That because of him, I smile everyday. It's not the child's fault that their parents have issues to work out and I really don't like it when they put a child in the middle. All "parent conversations" should be done without the presence of children. I know it's hard. Everyone slips from time to time.

All that I ask is that you look at that beautiful child and say... I love you. You make life worth living.
Grab your child and hug them tight. They need our love just as we long for theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment