Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A Manicure Moment

A day at the nail salon was just what my boyfriend's six year old daughter and I needed. A time to relax and have a little girl time. They were busy this Sunday afternoon which gave us plenty of time to choose our colors while we talked about school, cheer and of course my son and her daddy.
When it comes to polish I prefer just a clear coat on my nails but today she told me I should choose a color. A coral color shimmered at me, and I picked it up.
"That's pretty but you should get pink," she says with a smile.
"Pink? Me?"
She nods her head and giggles.
I sigh and give in to her precious smile.
She grabs a shade of pink and we begin the process of elimination, testing each shade on to the paper on the counter. After a good twenty minutes we have chosen our color. Mine was a blinding bright hot pink and hers was a glittery pink, not as bold.
We sit down and take a couple of pictures for my special photo album. She was getting anxious and couldn't sit still and I hoped they were close to calling us. Ten more minutes pass and suddenly she changes her mind about her shade of pink. With plenty of time to waste, we again test out a few more colors, including shades of blue and purple. In the end, she chooses the same shade she had in the beginning. I told her that and she laughs.
As we sit back down a gentleman comes up to us and guides us to his nail station. He begins working on my nails when she spots a color she just had to have... Purple! (Which is her favorite color.) Now I am wearing this bright pink alone!
The man working on our nails asked me if she was my only child. I answered him "Oh I wish she was mine."

We added a cute little flower on to her thumb nails and she beamed brightly. Her smile is so sweet it warms my heart. I can tell I'm going to have a hard time telling her no.

Though it took over two hours to get our nails done (and time flying by quickly too!)and me polished with a barbie fashion hot pink on my nails, it was one wonderful moment I spent with this beautiful young lady. I can't wait to have more opportunities with her like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment