Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A Blast Of Hot Air

One week ago, the heater went out in my car. I dreaded climbing in with the falling temperatures. It had reached a cloudy high of 16 and the winds pushed hard against the car. I had a stocking hat, scarf, gloves, thick socks with boots, and a heavy coat. My only thrill was the heated seat and steering wheel. But that did little to keep me from freezing.

I began to adjust as I waited for my scheduled appointment to fix it. On the day of my appointment, the sun shone brightly and the temperatures reached up into the forties. Even the winds had diminished. It felt like a heat wave on my twenty minute drive across town to the dealership.

When I arrived at the service shop, the gentleman informed me the loaner car was ready to go and that they turned on the heater ahead of time. I smiled, thanked him and jumped into the car. Instantly, I was hot. It felt like I stepped into the tropics and sweat began to trickle down my forehead. I quickly found the controller and shut off the heater.

For a brief moment, I wanted to stroll back into the service department and tell them, "No thanks. Who needs a heater anyway." Then I thought of the sixteen degree day and I shivered.
I pressed on the gas pedal and drove myself home.

No comments:

Post a Comment