Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Christmas Ornament

While sipping a cup of coffee in the dining room of my boyfriend's parent's home, his mother asks me if she told me about the ornaments on her tree.
"No," I answered with a smile.
"Well let me tell you about my tree." She got up from her chair and I followed her to the tree.
She told me about each ornament and their meanings. There was a semi truck on the tree that reminded her of my son and I smiled. The cowboy boot was definitely my boyfriend.
She paused for a moment and smiled. "This one," she says and points at the gold heart near the top of the tree, "reminds me of you. The golden heart."
I was astonished and speechless. How could she think so highly of me in the short amount of time I had known her? I smiled and said "Thank you" and gave her a hug, holding back the joyous tear that wanted to fall.
It was such a sweet thing to say. I am still speechless and hope that I never let her down. At least now I know where her son gets his sweetness.

3 comments:

  1. Brought tears to my eyes! I Wanted to read more! And it is easy to think so highly of you in such a short amount of time. When we were 17 and met I knew within about 5 minutes that you would be in my heart forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now you are bringing tears to my eyes... Thank you and yes you are in my heart as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your writing girl. And you are a beautiful golden heart - I knew that the first day I met you. Only wish I lived closer so I could see you!

    ReplyDelete