Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Other Woman

I knew one day this would happen...

For the last few weeks when my son came home from his father's, he would speak of daddy's "new" girlfriend. It didn't bother me too much because from the sounds of it, she's good with him. Tonight, however, I am feeling jealous and have realized that he treats us as equals. She has two children so she is more exciting to him, because he has someone else to play with. What made me jealous all of a sudden, you wonder. I asked him if he understood the meaning of Easter and the Easter Bunny. His response, mommy I made "girlfriend" the bunny at school. I gave it to her. Oh my, did I just lose out on something my son has made at school? Yes, I did. And not to his father, but to another woman. He didn't stop there. He proceeded to tell me that I need to move back in with daddy and "girlfriend". Oh my really?

It was hard to swallow, but I knew this day had to come. How do I handle it? With ease, of course, though inside I just want to scream from the highest mountain. There's no reason to stress him out, he's not old enough to understand what is and has happened over this last year. My only worry is that he will continue to want her more. I hope it's just a fad and that I won't have to compete for my little boy's attention. It's already hard enough to share him with the man who never knew he existed until I walked out the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment