Friday, August 19, 2011

Cardio Certification

It was a sleepless night. I tossed and turned dreading the day ahead, Cardio and Step certification. After eight long weeks of training, going over each routine, listening to the beat of the music, finding the top of the phrase, learning the proper count, breaking down the count, cuing at just the right time and teaching it to others in training, now I have to show this to the director.
My nerves are on end and every time I fall asleep, I wake up thirty minutes later hearing myself counting. I cannot wait for tomorrow to come and go. My stomach is nauseous. I'm terrified I will not pass. I knew the steps. I knew the count. But with rattled nerves, I know I will forget.
I look at the clock. Time is moving slowly. I shut my eyes again trying to clear my mind. I need my rest because it will be a very long day. A day full of routines and practice. I clear my mind except for a song so sweet. Finally sleep is coming. I can feel it.
I jump up and look at the clock. Thirty minutes before my alarm. I might as well get up and get ready. I spent twenty minutes practicing the routines. Making sure to cue at the correct time. My confidence is building.
When I arrive at the studio, I'm happy to see many others are quite as terrified as me. The day is going smooth and time drags on. I'm tired from the practice and ready to take the practical, which is what they call our test. We still had hours to go before we can feel some relief. Right before lunch we are told the new routine that we will be tested on. It was different than we had studied repeatedly in training. I lost my appetite as well as my confidence.
After lunch we practiced a little more and learned some new routines. And then finally, the director announced it was time for the practical.
I took advantage of time by practicing until it was my turn, leaving me tired rather than nervous. I walked up to the director and smiled as I waited for the top of the phrase. I counted, I cued, I continued to smile. I went through the entire process in only a few minutes. She looked down at the paper, feeling out my scores. When she finished, she smiled and said to me, "YOU PASSED!" Hip Hip Hooray! I giggled.

No comments:

Post a Comment