Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Roller Coaster



Have you ever been stuck on the top of a roller coaster?

My son and I took a trip across town to the amusement park for a fun-filled adventure we both needed. We arrived the moment they opened the doors and rode almost every ride within two hours, taking pictures with every laugh. Our laughter continued throughout the entire time while waiting for the rest of my family to join us.

We were definitely getting tired and ready to leave, but my son wanted to ride the roller coaster one last time. "Please mommy please," he said. I rolled my eyes and smiled while I gathered him in my arms, "Okay, bubby. One last ride."

The wait was long and he grew impatient. When we were almost at the front of the line, he had a change of heart. I said, "Oh, no. We've been standing in this line for almost twenty minutes and we are going to ride it." I laughed and tickled him. His laughter changed his mood and he jumped into my arms for a hug.

Finally we were next to ride and he excitedly said, "Mommy we are sitting in the front."

"Oh, no we're not," I laughed. But his pleading puppy dog eyes melted me and I sighed as I followed him to the very front seat. My brother and his wife sat in the seat behind us. I tried desperately to get my son to let my brother sit with him, but he refused to let go of me.

"No mommy, it's our day."

I smiled and sat down in the seat hugging him tight.

We took a couple of pictures and were ready for the wheels to turn. "Okay, here we go," my boy says as we start to move. We laugh together and I gave him a quick kiss on the top of his head. I had never been in the front or the back, always in the middle. My heart pounded hard in my chest as we began to go over that first hill and I screamed. Being in the front was definitely more intense. My adrenaline found it's peak and I looked over at my son to see him laughing hysterically. I laughed nervously and held on tight.

The roller coaster went smooth until the third and final turn when it stopped on the last incline. I thought my heart was going to leap out of my chest at that moment. My son laughed at first until he realized we weren't going anywhere. When he began to panic, I pulled my cell phone out of my back pocket and began taking pictures. Hoping to keep him laughing we carried on a conversation with my brother and his wife.

The attendants rushed with ladders and at first I thought they had planned on trying to get us down with them. I thought there's no way that ladder would reach us safely. They rolled out a second ladder which was more sturdy but no that wouldn't reach us either. After twenty minutes my son cried, "I want off this mommy. Get me down."

"I know baby. It won't be long," I said and kissed his forehead.

The sun beat down on us and I could feel my arms burning. The sunscreen was in my purse and that wasn't on this ride. I worried about him and took off my hat, put it on his head and pulled him to me. He curled the best he could into my arms and laid his head down on my shoulder. "Bubby, why don't you try to sleep, it may be awhile." I knew he was tired, that's why this was the last ride for us. But, he couldn't sleep with all the activity.
I saw my sisters and my mom down below and hollered out at them. "Hey why don't ya toss us a water." Anyone within hearing distance laughed.

I think making the best of a situation is the only thing you can do. Funny enough the attendants brought us cold bottles of water shortly after my request and that helped keep my son calm. My only worry now was if he had to use the restroom, what would we do?

Thirty minutes had passed and they found what caused the problem. The tire between the second and third car flattened. They continued to work and I heard the call being placed to the fire department. I had to laugh because I seem to attract fire trucks.

I heard the sirens and knew they were close. My view allowed me to see them come rushing down the street and into the park.

The main attendant, a young dark haired man with a sweet smile, shouted up to us. "Okay folks, hold on tight. We have to roll it backwards and we don't have any way to stop it."
That moment I know my heart was in my stomach. I was not one for roller coasters and here I was going to have to go backwards without breaks. It began to roll. The velocity of the fall was intense and I screamed from the top of my lungs and gripped the bar with both hands while my arms craddled my son as he screamed too, wrapping his arms around the bar. It didn't look as if it was going to stop, but I knew it had too. When it did, it began to go forward and the attendants were there to stop it. We jumped off the roller coaster and they gathered us together.

"Follow this man into the building. He has paperwork for you to fill out and congratulations, you now have a free season pass." The young cutie instructed with a smile, as he pointed to another attendant. We followed him in and collected our prize and then we went back out and continued to ride until the sun started to set.

Once in the car, I turn around and smile at my son. He says to me, Mmommy, next time we go can we sit in the front of the roller coaster again?"

I laughed amazed he would brave the coaster still and answered him, "Yes, bubby. That was a thrill."

No comments:

Post a Comment