Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Back to School

I sit tapping my fingers at the dinner table, looking at the clock. Twenty more minutes before I have to leave. I know I'm fidgeting, but I can't stop. It's been a very long time since I went to school and I've never been to college.

I'm too anxious to sit any longer and I jump up and begin cleaning out the dishwasher. My mind is blank which doesn't happen. That's not a good thing when you spend three fourths of your evenings writing. I couldn't think of a single thought. I hastily shut the dishwasher and grabbed my jacket and purse. I know I'm leaving early, but I just can't help it. I've got to get moving. I take one quit look in the mirror, hoping I look all right.

Tonight, I chose to wear a casual long sleeve orange t-shirt with the words Love printed on the front and the sleeves had tattoo markings along them. I wore my dark blue jeans which used to fit tight, but thanks to wearing them all day they don't fit quite right. I throw on my black boots and my dark gray stylish hat and gloss my lips one last time. I smile and head for the door.

Arriving in class, I realize I am definitely overdressed and just don't know that I fit in with this lively group of older men and women. I choose a seat near the back, because I'd rather have moments to write something that's on my mind, like part of this blog. Just as the professor begins her speech a young boy of twenty walks in the door. He looks around nervously for a seat to take and chooses to sit next to me. I thought that very fitting since we were the youngest in the class.

I took notes and let him look at mine as he tried to keep up. If only we had our laptops in class. I could have typed out the entire lecture.

Class was great and I met my new table buddy and we discussed the direction of writing. I loved it, because this is one that felt like review. I'm excited for next week even though it takes over my St Patty Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment