Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Flat Tire

Awake and ready to start my day, I realize the garage door has been cracked open all night. I shake my head, shivering and walk to my car. Another reason to despise smoking. I slide in and start the car, hoping to get to the gym early, but my poor Mercedes is freezing and she's going to take a few minutes to warm up. I smile anyway and plug in my ipod. I never select a song, I always hit shuffle. I like the surprise of what will play next. I hear "Somebody call 911," and I'm ready to dance in my seat.
I shout out the lyrics and back out of the driveway with the stereo is blasted and head for the gym. I procrastinated on getting gas, because it was so cold the day before, and realized I'll have to stop before I arrive at the gym. As I sing, I miss my turn. Shrugging I continue to sing, still another gas station along the way.
I realize something is odd with my car when I turn the corner, but traffic is flowing too fast for me to just pull over. I turn down the radio and know either a break pad fell off, because the light flashed on, or something is wrong with a tire. I pull over as soon as I can and realize my tire blew out. As I look at it, I noticed a screw in the tire. My mouth hangs open, how on earth could this have happened.
I call the tire place and they arrange a tow truck. Though I am frustrated, I laugh. I laugh because there's no gas in the car and it's twenty degrees out. The tow truck won't arrive for an hour. It's going to be a cold, cold wait.
When the tow truck arrived, I smiled and said "Well, after looking at the tire I realized I got screwed." He laughed. I held out the key, "Here's the key, do you mind if I jump in your truck." He nodded. I climbed in and felt the instant relief of warmth. After several minutes, he climbs in and says to me, "You know, most people aren't so happy to see me."
I tell him, "Being angry certainly won't fix my tire and get me to the gym. So what's the point."
He shrugged smiling. I couldn't help but add, "I know I'm on a long and winding road, I was sure there would have to be a flat tire along the way."

No comments:

Post a Comment